Reopening of the William Trent House with special presentation of the historic deed
The 1719 William Trent House Museum will reopen to the public at 2 p.m. on Sunday, June 6, with a special welcome program, new exhibits, a visitor center and a redesigned garden.
The Trenton Historical Society and the Trent House Association will present a deed signed in 1677 by the area’s first English resident, Mahlon Stacy, which was recently purchased by the two organizations. The deed will remain on view at Trent House throughout the summer before being donated to the Trenton Free Public Library for its Trentoniana collection.
The historic garden site at 15 Market St. has been redesigned to include plants that the natives of New Jersey would have grown or gathered in the wild and those that enslaved Africans would have grown for their own use and for the local market, as well as the herbs and vegetables grown in the gardens of the English settlers. Inside the 300-year-old house, hands-on displays and posters will illustrate everyday life in the 1700s for the wealthy Trent family and the enslaved people who worked there.
The visitor center will feature artifacts from archaeological excavations in the field, as well as a video recreation of the dilemma Mary Trent faced when her husband died suddenly without a will in 1724 and a video illustrating with maps how the neighborhood around Trent’s house has grown from orchards and farms to factories and workers’ homes to the parking lots and highways that surround it today.
The museum will resume its regular hours of 12:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday to Sunday, starting June 9. All visitors will be required to wear face coverings until further notice.
For more information visit williamtrenthouse.org.
Send community news to [email protected]